With over 135 years of history and heritage, the WIDDOP and Co. of today would be almost unrecognisable to founder William Widdop. Both the company and the world have changed beyond recognition since 1883. Here are a just a few of our milestones.
William Widdop begins making clocks and watches in Brighouse, Yorkshire.
William's son-in-law, John, joins the business after active service in WW1.
During WW2 a retailer called Bingham's amalgamated with Widdop and moved to Manchester to make use of the building after their premises were damaged by bombing.
Bob Illingworth takes the helm. The first Spring Fair is held at Harrogate and Widdop Bingham is one of the pioneer exhibitors.
Widdop Bingham moves to Chadderton, Oldham and becomes the first company in the gift trade to install a computer.
Bob's sons Stuart, Chris and Andrew join the company and George Makin, a jewellery wholesaler based in Shudehill, Manchester is purchased.
William Widdop launches its new flagship range of branded clocks.
The company begins sourcing its first products from the Far East.
The Juliana brand of giftware is launched.
The company outgrows its premises and moves to a larger, purpose-built warehouse and office unit on Broadgate.
An extension is added to the new building, creating extra warehousing and doubling the size of the showroom.
With the arrival of Stephen Illingworth, Stuart's eldest son, Widdop enters its 5th generation under the original family.
Another 5th generation arrival, Stuart's youngest son Daniel, further reinforces Widdop's strong family values.
Our innovative new warehouse management system is implemented.
Chris's son James becomes the latest member of the 5th generation to join the company